Online CodeRefinery Workshop and Hackathon on Software Testing
March 17 and 24, 2021, 9:00-12:30 CET
Bring your code and start writing tests with the help of a mentor!
The hackathon will be held online, a Zoom link will be sent to accepted participants.
Goals and format
In this event, you will become familiar with tools and best practices for testing research software and get help in adopting these in your own projects.
Day 1: Workshop
Day 1 will be devoted to learning - we go through the CodeRefinery
lesson on automated testing
and work on exercises in breakout rooms where you can use your
favorite programming language.
It is possible to only attend day 1 and not take part in the hackathon.
At the end of day 1, hackathon participants will be paired up with a mentor and pitch their projects in small groups.
Between Day 1 and Day 2
In between the workshop and hackathon days you will get help from
your mentor to design tests, implement them in your code or set up
automated testing. Participants can communicate with mentors by email,
Zoom meetings or the CodeRefinery
Zulipchat and ask
You will be expected to spend at least 5 hours on your project during this time.
Day 2: Hackathon
During the hackathon on day 2, we split participants into groups and
they work in a sprint together with their mentor. At the end of day
2, we briefly summarize the progress made for each project and discuss
Participants in teams will be together in a breakout room.
Day 1, March 17
- 9:00 - 9:10 Welcome and practical information (Thor)
- 9:10 - 12:00
Software testing workshop
- 9:10 - 9:20 Motivation (Thor)
- 9:20 - 9:30 Concepts (Thor)
- 9:30 - 9:55 Testing locally (Diana)
- 9:55 - 10:05 Break
- 10:05 - 10:45 Automatic testing with GitHub Actions or GitLab CI (Mark)
- 10:45 - 10:55 Break
- 10:55 - 11:50 Test design (Johan and Radovan)
- 11:50 - 11:55 Conclusions and recommendations (Johan and Radovan)
- 11:55 - 12:00 Break
- 12:00 - 12:30 Project pitching and introductory meeting with mentors (hackathon participants only)
Day 2, March 24
- 9:00 - 9:15 Introduction
- 9:15 - 10:30 Project work with mentors
- 10:30 - 10:45 Break
- 10:45 - 11:45 Project work with mentors
- 11:45 - 12:15 A walk through of lessons learned
- 12:15 - 12:30 Final words and hackathon feedback.
Instructors and mentors
- Anne Fouilloux
- Diana Iusan
- Johan Hellsvik
- Mark Abraham
- Qiang Li
- Radovan Bast
- Richard Darst
- Roberto Di Remigio
- Thor Wikfeldt
Coordinators and hosts
- Naoe Tatara
- Thor Wikfeldt
- Samantha Wittke